Skip to main content

Marple Newtown takes out Lower Merion

By 1 October, 2011August 20th, 2012No Comments

By Steve Lienert, Delaware County Daily Times
October 01, 2011

NEWTOWN SQUARE – After last week’s loss to Central League rival Ridley, Marple Newtown running back Cimirrow Moat and his teammates couldn’t wait to get back on the field.

According to Moat, Marple Newtown not only lost the game, but it lost confidence, as well.

Friday against Lower Merion, Marple Newtown regained its swagger.

The host Tigers recovered four fumbles, scored on each of their seven offensive possessions and thoroughly dominated the Aces in a 49-0 rout.

As for Moat, his 13 carries for 179 yards and five touchdowns in the first half were more than enough to get his confidence back on track.

“Last week, I think we weren’t ready for them, basically,” Moat said. “This week, we were even more ready than ready.”

Marple Newtown came out of the gate with a vengeance. The Tigers took the opening kickoff and marched 65 yards in five plays, capped by a 10-yard touchdown run by Moat, to give Marple Newtown a 7-0 lead.

Lower Merion fumbled on its second play from scrimmage and, in what would become the theme of the night, the Tigers capitalized. It took just three plays for Moat to strike again, this time from 36 yards out, to give the Tigers a quick 14-0 lead.

The Aces got the ball back and once again fumbled. And again, it took just three plays for Moat to bust another big play. His third touchdown of the quarter pushed Marple Newtown’s lead to 21-0 and the rout was on.

“We wanted to have a bounce-back (game) after last week,” Marple Newtown coach Ray Gionta said. “You never want to lose two games in a row. They turned the ball over and we were able to capitalize each time they did.”

The Aces (2-3, 0-3) answered with a 12-play drive that bridged the first and second quarters, but (again) it ended with a fumble. On the ensuing play, Moat scampered 49 yards for a 28-0 lead.

Marple didn’t let its foot off the gas until after halftime. Before that, running back Anthony Rosanio had a 30-yard touchdown run, Marple Newtown’s defense forced and recovered another fumble and Moat added a 36-yard touchdown run to put the Tigers (4-1, 3-1) ahead, 42-0, at half.

In the second half, against the Tigers’ second team, Lower Merion drove inside Marple Newtown’s 5-yard line, only to be turned away empty-handed. The Tigers’ second-team offense, highlighted by running back Mike White’s 60 yards rushing, punched in the final touchdown for the 49-0 win.

As much fun as this game was for Moat, his thoughts have moved to the Tigers’ next opponent.

“This week at practice, we were really just into Lower Merion,” Moat said. “We forgot about Ridley and all that. We just wanted to come out and have a good practice and be positive, come out and get a big win.

“We got Harriton next week,” Moat said. “It’s time to think about them now.